Sunday, September 28, 2014

A Trip to where All Journeys Begin

Ever took a trip to explore what took you there?
To be honest, if I had to pick a weekend-get-away destination, it would be some place with food, Wi-Fi, and a nice comfortable couch, but nothing within the context of "educational". Before reading "The Impact of Science Centers/Museums on their Surrounding Communities: Summary Report", I never would have thought that a visit to a museum could be more than just to learn, it can be about socializing with others, boosting the economy of that area, and much more. With this thought in mind, I looked up a list of museums in Orange County. I decided that if it has to be a museum that would entertain me, it has to be something of my interest. Although I do enjoy looking at art pieces and have a change of perspectives, I decided to visit somewhere different but still be interesting. As I looked through the list, I found the Marconi Automotive Museum, and I just had to visit this place because I love cars ever since I went to my first car show when I was 10, and the location was close-by so I was just curious how it looks like.

This place definitely did not disappoint me. It has all I ever wanted, A FULL HOUSE OF CARS! What was even better is I went at an hour when not a lot of people are visiting the place, it felt like the whole museum was my own garage and I own every beautiful classic cars in there. It is definitely an extraordinary museum, because the whole exhibit housed all types of antique models of cars that one probably would not be able to see them elsewhere. I gazed at the beauty of those cars and could not stop taking selfies in front of those cars.

Here are the top 5 amazing/interesting things that I love about the museum.
This cutie was born in the 60's.
No. 5 
It housed cars that are way out of my league, meaning they existed way before I was even on this planet. (Well, also the fact that I cannot afford them, yet at least.) The reason being that it is amazing to me how human has advanced in technology way before I was born, and how it continues to grow today.

I'm pretty sure these don't just lie around anywhere.
No. 4
It has a Ferrari and BMW branded trash can in the restroom. I mean what are the odds to dump your tissue papers into high prestige car brands' trash can, #mindblown #interesting.

Will you just look at those cardinal and gold.

No. 3
I am pretty sure Mr. Marconi, the founder of the museum has definitely a thing for bleeding cardinal and gold, because most cars in the exhibit are either cardinal or gold. That has to mean something, since museums are meant to persuade the visitors of some point of view, correct? Therefore, Fight On, Mr. Marconi! 

"Bumpers" made out of bumpers.

No. 2
Evidence number 2 that Mr. Marconi has to have a thing for cardinal and gold, the museum featured a horse sculpture made out of bumpers called "Bumpers". Trojans ride the Traveler (horse) into victory, correct? On top of that, I have never seen people creating arts out of old bumpers, and that is a pretty innovative move and I admire his creativity.

Anything for the kids!

No. 1
Last but not least, all admission fees goes to fund local children-related organizations, including Mary's Shelter, Hillview Acres Children's Home, and Children's Hospital of Orange County. Not only was it a visit that fulfilled my desire for entertainment and education, but also I was able to contribute a little bit of funds to the local children who are in need. It was definitely worth the visit. 

I think the museum is trying to convey the message of how technology has changed over time. The car displays showed that precisely. Seeing how over time people altered the lights, the wheels, the stereos, etc., shows how automotive changed over time as technology advanced and people's needs changed as well. This museum is for everybody from car-lovers, kids, selfies-lovers, to people who would like to help the local community, because the museum donates admission fees to local children organizations. One thing I would recommend this exhibit to include though is to have a tour guide on duty at all times. I went to the museum and the receptionist told me that I was supposed to have a reservation for a tour guide. However, I think their car displays and signage were right to the point that it was easy to follow up, and the pattern in which they displayed the cars (time, model) were logical, so it was easy to understand. Overall, I enjoyed the visit, and would recommend anyone to visit this exhibit someday!

1 comment:

  1. This museum looks great! I'll definitely check it out when I have the chance.

    ReplyDelete