Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Update:The Significant of Armless

Production of the video!

This video is produced for the purpose of understanding the differences between romanticism and realism. Romanticism stories usually have happy endings. In the contrary, realism stories usually have sad endings. Romanticism focused more on feelings and emotion, while realism stories tell the truth of life without all the fantasy and imagination. For example, as we have discussed in class, if there is a dead body in front of us. In romanticism perspective, people might say, "Look how terrified his face was when he died, he must have been very scared when he saw the knife that was about to stab him." In realism perspective, though, people might say, "There's nothing special here, it is just a dead body." It seems like a romanticism person would be more sensitive about everything in world, while a realism person would be cruel in some ways, without feelings towards anything.



For Chinese Version: Click Here 
Dear lovely mom:
Sorry, I was not able to inform you about my decision to join the army before I have joined the army. It was on that day when we were planning a nice dinner to celebrate dad's returning from the army. We shopped, chatted, and thought about all the great meals that we would love to serve him as a payback to his hard works in the army. You left with sister for her cram school. When I came back, there was a man wondering around outside of our house. He was terrified and rushed. When he handed me the letter, he told me it was from the army. When I was still in the mood of happiness about dad's returning, the messenger was gone. I sat down on my chair and read the letter. I was shocked to see that dad was killed by General Annika. General Annika, as I have heard from dad before, he was his best friend in the army. I do not understand why, why would he killed his best friend. I said no words, and turned myself into a boy-like person. I took dad's best sword, and  gone for the army training. At first, they did not at all realized that I am a woman. They treated me as if I am a real man. I did not expect a privilege to earn as a woman either. It was actually illegal to join the army as a woman, because I would have possibly been killed for the crime. Training was harder and tougher than I thought it would be.  I overheard the conversation of the general to his servant. My dad was killed because of the hatred and jealousy of General Annika. I cannot accept the reason of why General Annika killed my dad. I bleed, bruised, and cried.  However, I was not one second wanted to turn back home. This is all for dad, I have to revenge for him. I do not want him to die without a understandable reason, but the hatred and jealousy of his best friend. I was ordered to be a spy to General Annika's army eith my best friend in the army. Soon, General Annika found out that we were spies. We were captured and sent to General Annika's room. He had several servants beside him standing. I wanted to kill him so bad. I wanted to revenge for what he had done to my dad. He tried to take me as his servant, or else he will kill my best friend. I do not want to betray my country, nor my best friend. I just simply do not want to go down the same path as he did with my dad. He then ordered his servant to kill my best friend. I wanted to protect my best friend. I extended my arm out before the knife is down on my best friend's throat. My arm was chopped off. I still wanted to revenge, but there seems to be no way that I can do that. My friend suddenly broke out of her wrapped hands,  took the knife of one of the servant of General Annika, and rushed over to stab General Annika. General Annika died after the stab. The world was peaceful for a while, but General Annika's descendents seems to consider a revenge towards my best friend. I will return home after this fight for my best friend. Do not worry, mom. I promise everything will goes back to normal and peaceful after this last fight.

Realism story:
Dear friend:
Hey, this is your best friend Emily writing out an letter to you from the army. My life is not exactly the life that wanted. I hated my family. At least, the family that live with me right now. I never liked my mom, because she's always so annoying. She always wants me to finish my homework,making me do girlly things, and wearing dresses that girls should in her opinion. She always wants me to take care of my dumb sister, who knows nothing, but is always given credit for what I have done. My mom is just truly the sickest person that I have ever met in my life. I know that she deserved blindness for what she had asked of me.However, it is because of her blindness, I have more burden on me for taking care of her. Yeah, and everything just gets worst for taking care of her. I loved spending time with my dad, because he always let me do whatever I like. He taught me how to fight, and turned me into a tomboy, which is exactly what I wanted to live as. However, nothing matters anymore, since he's dead now. I have losted my passion to stay in this home. This is not the home that I wanted to live in. I wanted escape this home, but the only place that I could go is that stupid school. I hated my life studying in this terrible environment that you and I have spent time in. I have 100% no interest in getting into a college, or even go on with a office career. I loved to fight. I wanted to let out all my emotions onto our country's biggest enemy, the Annikas. I guess it is better to just put my hatrait on to our enemy than getting myself into trouble by hitting our own people. I went to the military and signed up. The consular laughed, and thought I was crazy. He shouted, "Crazy woman! Have you lost your mind? You are a woman! Now, move!" The reality is still a tragedy. Women is always lower than men. If I cannot enter as a woman, then I should try enter as a man. Unfortunately, the consular just happened to be the same one that I saw before. He called the police, and the police bring me, literally, away. I tried day after another, and finally, I decided to just ask a man to exchange his military ticket with me, without facing the consular. I finally joined the army. Man stinks in there. How I wish I could have my own room, and just punish these stinky men whenever I feel like it. Training was tough, but I always survive to the end of the training. The general liked me a lot, so he promoted me as his security guard. Until one day, he figured out that I am a woman. He had to follow the law to kill me. I ran as fast I can, but he chase after me with a speed that is faster than mine, with a sharp knife in his hand. I tripped over a big rock that I did not notice. He took a quick stop and fall down on me. His sharp knife cut through my arm. He took me back to his cabinet. I became unconscious after seeing those blood coming out of my arm. When I woke up, my arm was wrapped up. I tried to stretch out my arm, but I do not see a movement. The general asked me if I would be his wife instead of taking my life as the law says. I asked him about my arm. He said he is guilty for cutting my arm, and wanted me as his wife to make up my lost. I made a trade with him. I wanted him to let me be the leader of the army, and let all women who are interested to join the army to join. He accepted the exchange, and resigned from his job. We are now married, a husband-maid, and a wife-leader. 

3 comments:

  1. You do a decent job of introducing Realism and Romanticism. However, I need to point out that Romanticism isn't necessarily happy and Realism sad. Rather, as you pointed out later, Romanticism is about feelings, while Realism is essentially without feeling. It doesn't matter in realism whether the ending is happy or sad, it just is what it is regardless of a feeling. Is that clear?

    Perhaps there was a misunderstand about rewriting the story, because I read here a similarly passionate and emotional version of the story that I watched in the video. The assignment was to write a story in the Realistic style, less emotional, less epic, less impressive. Read Vivian's story for a good sample of what I imagined. Do you see how your story is actually quite Romantic rather than Realistic?

    By the way, I absolutely love the video. It really captured the essence of the assignment. I can see that you worked very hard on it. Thanks for being flexible about the language.
    23/30

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I like about your article:
    *you built a nice image in some part, for example, in line 6-8:”When I came back…..it was from the army.”
    *the article is smooth and fluent, like there’s really a girl thinking and writing to her dear mom, for example line 10-12: “I was shocked to....best friend in the army.”
    *the ending is cool to me, it gives us our own secret little space to imagine—to imagine what things are turning out to be.

    What you could improve:
    *I could see there are still some emotion left, for example, revenge and sadness while Emily is crying. And…I think the story is kind of same like the original
    *You could give us more information in line 16:” I overheard the conversation of the general to his servant.” Which general? I think you mean the one stands in the same side with Emily. Then why and how did the general know this thing? I don’t think general would care things of little Unknown Soldier. Again, that’s my opinion
    *I think Romanticism does not usually have happy endings and realism does not have sad endings. Romanticism just focuses on feelings and emotions rather than truth and rules, so maybe there is sadness around the story. Realism is just like a documentary version of glory—reported as the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. thank you for being my followers!!!! I would like to be yours, but I just need time to figure it out how to do this stuff. Maybe you could save my time, tell me how to do it! then, I could spend more time and pay attention on you! xDDDD

    ReplyDelete