Monday, January 28, 2013

Melancholy Song

Melon Call Ye.

Seven A.M., the usual morning

Line-up start on the chores, and sweep 'til the floor's are clean

Polish and wax, do laundry and mop and shine up

Sweep again

And by then

It's, like, seven fifteen

And so I'll read a book

Or maybe 2 or 3

I'll add a few new paintings to my gallery

I'll play guitar and knit and cook and basically

Just wonder, when will my life begin?

Then, after lunch, it's puzzles, and darts,and baking...

Paper-mache, a bit of ballet, and chess....

Pottery and ventriloquy, candle-making...

Then I'll stretch

Maybe sketch

Take a climb

Sew a dress

And I'll re-read the books

If I have time to spare

I'll paint the wall some more

I'm sure there's room somewhere

And then I'll brush, and brush and brush, and brush my hair

Stuck in the same place I've always been

And I'll keep wondrin'

And wonderin'

And wonderin'

And wonderin'

When will my life begin?

Tomorrow night...

The lights will appear...

Just like they do on my birthday each year...What is it like...

Out there where they glow...

Now that I'm older...

Mother might just let me go.......

http://www.elyrics.net/read/t/tangled-lyrics/when-will-my-life-begin-lyrics.html

 

Reflects:

This song is a melancholy song because Rapunzel is rejected by her "mom" to get out of the castle and to see the outside world. She feels like she has no life because she is stuck in the same place and doing the same thing over and over again daily. Moreover, she sang "wondering when will my life begin", I interpret this as if she is dead right now because even though she is technically living but it's as if she has no life at all. She is desperate to see the lanterns that are lighten up on her birthday, yet she can't. It is somehow similar to the song that fool sang to Orsino in that Orsino is desperate to meet with Olivia but is rejected, so he feels very lifeless.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment